Due to the expansion of our services in the Newcastle region, we are looking dedicated and talented General Practitioners to join our growing team.
A strong interest in, and commitment to Aboriginal Health is a must. You will form an essential part of our multidisciplinary team, serving the local community in strong consultation with a network of excellent nursing, allied health and administration specialists.
What we are seeking?
2 x General Practitioners, Fixed Term (35 Hours Per Week), 24 months (Potential for ongoing)
Our positions will rotate across our Medical Facilitates based at Hamilton, Raymond Terrace and Cardiff, and through Outreach programs.
Why work for Awabakal?
Awabakal is a dynamic and innovative community organisation with the support and wellbeing of the Aboriginal community in Newcastle, Hunter Valley, Lake Macquarie and Port Stephens at the heart of everything we do.
Our highly skilled teams across medical, aged care, housing and preschool services are passionate and driven to provide the most progressive and flexible services to our local Aboriginal communities and we actively empower our staff to be creative and forward thinking.
You will work as an integral part of Awabakal’s Medical team, and report to the Senior Medical Officer.
The role will require you to provide quality, integrated, best practice primary health care to the patients of the Aboriginal Medical Service, both within the confines of the medical practice and through Outreach programs.
You will improve the health of the Awabakal community by improving patient access to appropriate treatment and health care plans.
What you need to be successful:
- Professional medical registration with the Australian Health Practitioners Regulation Authority (AHPRA)
- Fellowship of the Royal Australian College of General Practitioners FRACGP
- Fellowship of the Australian College of Rural and Remote Medicine (FACRRM) or equivalent
- Accredited GP registrar supervisor (desirable)
- Demonstrated relevant experience as a General Practitioner as a vocationally registered/fellow in a community setting
- Demonstrated experience of working effectively with Aboriginal clients and community
- Demonstrated understanding of cultural issues impacting access to care for Aboriginal people
- Extensive experience with patient consultation
- Experience with Medicare Billing
- Current Class C Drivers Licence
Our teams are professional, hardworking and passionate, best describing our culture as innovative, flexible and supportive and we are committed to ensuring our leadership team members reflect our important organisational values.
A competitive salary will be negotiated with the right candidate, to match skills, experience and qualifications.
Please note as part of Awabakal’s recruitment process, prior to an offer of employment being made, recommended candidates will be required to undertake and provide a current Working with Children and National Police Check, and demonstrate evidence of current registration, and original qualifications.
All General Practitioners employed by Awabakal are required to maintain individual medical indemnity insurance, always, and as appropriate to their position at Awabakal. Medical indemnity insurance is an essential requirement of registration with the Medical Board of Australia.
How to Apply:
To apply please forward your resume and supporting covering letter, or alternatively contact Dr Dean Wright on 0419 638 796 or Jessica Gossage, Human Resource Consultant on (02) 4940 8743 for a confidential discussion.